Friday, July 8, 2011

Date and Walnut Rolls...in a can!


I found this interesting recipe recently and just had to try it! I had never heard of a "Nut Roll tin" or thought about using Juice Cans for baking but the results are professional, delicious and so simple to create.
In my quest to find the correct tins I ended up buying two 850ml tins of Apricot nectar... which I froze the contents for making Apricot Chicken at a later date. Using a tin opener that cuts below the tin lip (magican or tupperware can opener) I opened the tins and emptied them. I then washed and dried the tins, before spraying them with oil and lining them with baking paper.


The recipe Ingredients

60grams of butter
1 cup of boiling water
1 cup of finely chopped dates
1/2 teaspoon of bi-carb soda
1 cup of firmly packed brown sugar
2 cups of SR Flour
1/2 cup of walnuts roughly chopped
1 egg lightly beaten

Pre-heat oven to 180c
In a medium saucepan combine water and butter and cook stirring until butter melts. Take off heat. Add Dates and bi-carb and stir to combine. Then stir in sugar, SR Flour, egg and walnuts until combined.
Spoon mixture into tins, should be just over half filled in each Can. Replace lid of can and place on a lined tray in the oven (the lining will catch the glue if it melts from the outside of tin).
Bake for about 45 mins in fan forced oven or until a skewer comes out clean.
Leave to cool for 5 mins in tin, then take the lid off and tip out your rolls.



At this point I was holding my breath hoping this worked... and it did! And the taste was absolutely lovely. The whole family loved it! And they look like they could grace the pages of a cookbook!


Don't you agree???

Enjoy!

No comments: